CPMA Announces the Election of its New Board of Directors
OTTAWA, CANADA - CPMA has announced the election of their new Board of Directors at the Annual General Meeting.
Mike Furi of The Grocery People Ltd. is the association's newest Chair, along with Longo's Mimmo Franzone, Costco's Oleen Smethurst, Giumarra's John Corsaro, Loblaw's Eric Biddiscombe, and many more joining the Board of Directors.
Bernadette Hamel, CPMA’s past Chair said, “It’s been an honour to lead the CPMA as they entered into their 90th year serving the produce industry in Canada. The dedication and ongoing support of the board of directors is a true testament to the collaborative nature of our industry. It was exciting to see the launch of the Half Your Plate Campaign during my term and I truly believe that this initiative will inspire Canadians to make healthier choices while increasing industry prosperity.”
Both Hamel and Ron Lemaire, President, provided reports outlining the past activities and future plans of the Association, and members were given the opportunity to engage with CPMA leadership to ask questions and hear about association activities.
“I look forward to leading the CPMA over the next year. During my term as Chair I plan to work with industry to enhance our advocacy efforts to reduce barriers to trade and deliver on programs to improve our industry knowledge and education,” said Mike Furi, CPMA’s new 2015-2016 Chair.
The new members of the board of directors are:
- Chair Mike Furi of The Grocery People Ltd. Retail
- Past Chair Bernadette Hamel of Metro Richelieu Inc. Retail
- 1st Vice Chair Sam Silvestro of Walmart Canada Corp. Retail
- 2nd Vice Chair Rick Alcocer of Duda Farm Fresh Foods, Inc.
- Executive Committee Member Les Mallard of Chiquita Brands North America
New Board Members
- Murray Driediger of BC Fresh Vegetables Inc. Grower/Packer/Shipper
- George Pitsikoulis of Canadawide Fruit Wholesalers Inc. Wholesaler
- Byron Bellows of Colemans Food Centres Retail
- Jean-Guy of Mazerolle Co-op Atlantic Retail
- Oleen Smethurst of Costco Wholesale Canada Retail
- Guy Milette of Courchesne Larose Ltee Wholesaler
- Stephan Schmekel of Del Monte Fresh Produce Canada, Inc. Grower/Packer/Shipper
- Davis Yung of Fresh Direct Produce Ltd. Wholesaler
- Joel Ippolito of Ippolito Fruit & Produce Ltd. Grower/Packer/Shipper
- David Dubeof Krown Produce Wholesaler
- Eric Biddiscombe of Loblaw Companies Retail
- Mimmo Franzone of Longo Brothers Fruit Markets Inc. Regional Retail
- Mario Masellis of M.L. Catania Co. Ltd. Wholesaler
- Tim York of Markon Cooperative Inc. Food Service
- Joe Sbrocchi of Mastronardi Produce Ltd. Grower/Packer/Shipper
- Andrea Palmer of Nova Agri Inc. Grower/Packer/Shipper
- Kendra Mills of PEI Potato Board Affiliated Services
- Michele McMillan of Sobeys National Procurement Retail
- Colin Chapdelaine of Star Produce Ltd. Grower/Packer/Shipper
- Brian Slagel of Sunkist Growers, Inc. Grower/Packer/Shipper
- John Corsaro of The Giumarra Companies Grower/Packer/Shipper
- Steve Young of The Oppenheimer Group Grower/Packer/Shipper
- Brian Hampton of The Produce People Ltd. Wholesaler
- Scott Fairbairn of Thrifty Foods (Jace Holdings) Retail
- Gerry Van Winden of Veg Pro International Inc. Grower/Packer/Shipper
- Mike Ecker of Vineland Growers' Co-operative Ltd. Grower/Packer/Shipper
“Having alternating directors is very beneficial to CPMA. While we have continuity with our staff, we benefit from the changing perspectives of the different industry professionals on our board,” said Lemaire.
Lemaire added that the board has worked tirelessly on the governance renewal process and he’d like to thank them for their continued dedication to the industry. He looks forward to continuing CPMA’s legacy as it enters into its 91st year.