Make the Holidays Come Alive with National Mango Board Mangos
ORLANDO, FL – Once regarded as a fun summer superfruit now transforming into a fall and winter necessity, the National Mango Board (NMB) reports that mangos are enjoying a noteworthy increase in popularity among U.S. consumers with a volume increase of 50 percent over the last three years.
“The days where mangos are confined to tropical displays in stores are gone and for good reasons,” said Valda Coryat, Director of Marketing, in a recent press release. “Research shows us that mangos are an impulse purchase, therefore we encourage all retailers to place mangos in their mainstream displays to benefit from shopper’s desire for recipe inspiration.”
Noted as an important milestone, mango volume is expected to remain higher than normal through the holiday season and into the new year, with consistently high availability. In response, the NMB recommends retailers warm up the winter months by planning mango promotions and using point-of-sale (POS) materials to teach shoppers about mangos rightful place in shoppers’ carts during the colder months. Retailers can also spark shoppers’ holiday mango spirit with the Mangos Merry and Bright header card.
To build the perfect mango display the NMB suggests:
- Maintaining high-traffic shelf space year-round where your customers can always find mangos since mangos make up nearly 40% of tropical fruit category sales
- Building secondary mango displays in the produce department or front of store, especially when mango volumes are highest and when mangos are on promotion
- Carrying multiple varieties and sizes which can build sales
- Educating customers about selection, ripening, and cutting by using POS materials from the NMB
- Grouping mangos by variety, size, and ripeness level
- Keeping displays well stocked, but to avoid bruising, do not stack too high
- Never stacking heavier fruit such as pineapple, papaya, or coconuts above mangos
The NMB offers orderable POS materials free of charge, in addition to suggesting more merchandising best practices at Mango.org/Retail. For more information about mango crop forecasts, check out Mango.org/Crop.
For more produce industry news on the retail side, keep checking back with AndNowUKnow.
Companies in this Story
National Mango Board
The board’s mission is to increase awareness and consumption of fresh mangos in the U.S. The NMB works toward this...