Ocean Mist® Farms Recognized as a Blue Zones Project Worksite
CASTROVILLE, CA - Ocean Mist® Farms is joining the ranks of leading organizations as it announces the Blue Zones Project approval of its Monterey, California, worksite. The artichoke grower received approval in May 2020 after meeting 78 points on the worksite pledge and engaging 44 percent of its staff in Blue Zones Project activity (88 individuals).
“This is a huge accomplishment for Ocean Mist Farms,” said Lupita Renteria-Galvan, HR Benefits Manager and the Wellness Committee Chair at Ocean Mist Farms. “Becoming an approved worksite demonstrates the commitment you have to your employees’ health and well-being. Ocean Mist Farms is recognized as a community leader in workplace wellness and joins a network of respected organizations across our community.”
With this recognition, Ocean Mist Farms is the fifth-largest employer to become an approved worksite. According to a press release, the company is represented among respected organizations such as Taylor Farms Headquarters, Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare System, Montage Health, VNA, and the Monterey County Office of Education.
Ocean Mist Farms’ well-being initiatives and accomplishments include the following:
- A fitness center to all employees, including easy access to physical fitness activities, showers, and changing facilities that encourage physical activity during the workday
- Five Blue Zones Parking spaces located the furthest distance from the entrance are available for employees. Creating Blue Zones Project parking spaces that remind employees parking farther away is one way to easily add more physical activity to their day
- Free annual onsite biometric screenings (blood pressure, body mass index, glucose, cholesterol, etc.) in an effort to educate employees about their health risks and, if needed, how to improve their health
- Consistent social activities for Ocean Mist Farms staff members and their families to encourage teamwork and collaboration by having healthy relationships among co-workers
- Ongoing onsite developmental workshops, seminars, and/or lunch-and-learns to all employees. Ocean Mist Farms partners with community wellness programs such as Health Promotion at Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare System and Blue Zones Project to offer these workshops
Together, Ocean Mist Farms and Blue Zones Project Monterey County will continue the work of empowering employees to take charge of their health through continued Blue Zones Project activities and principals.
Click here to learn more about how to get involved in Blue Zones Project Monterey County.
Which industry leader will become Blue Zones Project approved next? Keep checking back to ANUK as we bring the latest.