Side Delights® Responds to Shoppers Increasing Demand for Sustainability Practices
SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Side Delights® has reported its commitment to sustainability while continuing to focus on implementing the highest food-safety practices. In a Nielsen study, it showed that most shoppers base purchase decisions on a company’s sustainability practices of products.
“As an organization made up of multi-generational farms, Side Delights' farmers have always been stewards of the land, committed to sustainability and food safety. We are leveraging new and innovative technology, especially in areas such as packaging which is crucial to safety and sustainability,” said Kathleen Triou, President and CEO. “By utilizing recyclable or compostable bags and trays, and the best quality food-safe plastic wrap for our microwaveable potato products, we simultaneously protect our consumers and the environment. The microwaveable wrap is particularly important as it helps maintain the potato’s nutrients while cooking and keeps the triple-washed potatoes clean for immediate consumption.”
According to a press release, the research divulged that sustainable efforts are important to Millennial shoppers:
- 68 percent of consumers feel strongly that companies should help improve the environment
- Nearly half say they would change their consumption habits to reduce their impact on the environment
- Sustainable share in grocery is growing: 20 percent in 2014 and 25 percent by 2021
- All consumer segments value sustainability, but Millennials are most engaged
- Millennials are more likely than Baby Boomers (53 percent vs 34 percent) to say they’d be willing to forgo a brand to buy environmentally friendly products
Shoppers are paying more attention to food safety in regards to the increased importance of sustainability. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “approximately 48 million people in the U.S. become ill from food borne diseases and ‘Food Recalls’ were included in the recently published 2019 list of ‘Disrupters’ impacting food retail.” Further allowing the product to be tracked and traced, food packaging not only protects the food but also provides the consumer with valuable information on ingredients, freshness, and potential allergens.
For more updates on Side Delights' products, keep reading AndNowUKnow.