Amazon Invests $89 Billion to Ramp Up Expansion Plans in Key Markets
SEATTLE, WA - Building upon its $89-billion expansion plans in major markets such as Dallas, Detroit, Denver, New York, Phoenix, and San Diego, Amazon recently announced that it plans to create an additional 3,500 new tech and corporate jobs. Tech hubs in the aforementioned cities will see a swell of $1.4 billion in investments as the retail giant expands its operations.
“People from all walks of life come to Amazon to develop their career—from recent graduates looking for a place to turn their ideas into high-impact products, to veterans accessing new jobs in cloud computing thanks to our upskilling programs,” said Beth Galetti, Senior Vice President of Human Resources. “These 3,500 new jobs will be in cities across the country with strong and diverse talent pools. We look forward to helping these communities grow their emerging tech workforce.”
Teams in these cities will support various businesses across Amazon’s operations, including Amazon Fresh. The company expects to hire for a variety of roles, from data scientists, to product managers.
According to a presss release, Amazon’s Tech Hub and corporate expansions include the following:
- Dallas, TX - Amazon will expand the existing Dallas Tech Hub, adding more than 100,000 square feet of space and 600 tech and corporate roles. Since 2010, Amazon has invested more than $16 billion in the state
- Detroit, MI – The acquisition of more than 25,000 square feet of office space in Detroit will provide space for an additional 100 jobs. Amazon has invested more than $2.5 billion in the state of Michigan since 2010
- Denver, CO – Amazon’s Denver Tech Hub will grow by an additional 100 jobs with the addition of 20,000 square feet of new office space. Since 2010, Amazon has invested more than $2.8 billion in the state of Colorado
- New York City, NY - In Manhattan, Amazon plans to create 2,000 new jobs and has acquired the Lord & Taylor Fifth Avenue building, where the company plans to open a new 630,000 square foot office. Amazon has invested more than $7 billion in the state of New York since 2010
- Phoenix, AZ - The company’s 90,000 square foot Phoenix Tech Hub expansion at 100 Mill will bring more than 500 new jobs to the community. Amazon has invested more than $11 billion in Arizona since 2010
- San Diego, CA - In San Diego, an addition of more than 40,000 square feet of office space will allow for the creation of 200 new jobs. Since 2010, Amazon has invested more than $50 billion in California
Amazon’s growth is no longer a surprise to anyone in this industry, but what new grocery developments will arise from this expansion. Only time, and AndNowUKnow, will tell.