California Table Grape Commission Announces Award Scholarships
FRESNO, CA - In an effort to bolster the future of potential young produce people, the California Table Grape Commission is once again awarding scholarships to the children of table grape field workers and students who want to study and work in the agriculture industry with an emphasis in the table grape industry.
For 2018, the following eight students in grape-growing regions of the state were chosen to receive scholarships:
$3,500 Two-year Field Worker Scholarships
- A graduate of Shafter High School, Yaritzi plans to attend Bakersfield College and pursue a career in nursing. Yaritzi is the first in her family to attend college and is an honor roll student and winner of the principal’s award.
Luisa Perez Rodriguez
- A graduate of Robert F. Kennedy High School in Delano, Luisa plans to attend Bakersfield College and pursue a career in radiological technology. Luisa is a four-year honor roll student, a four-year member of the soccer team, two-year member of the softball team, and is active in both school and church clubs.
$20,000 Four-year Field Worker Scholarships
- A graduate of McFarland High School, Rosalinda will graduate with a 4.38 weighted GPA and will attend UC San Diego and pursue a career as a mechanical engineer. Rosalinda is the Vice President of the leadership class, President of the engineering club, a member of the softball team, and Captain of the school golf team.
- A graduating from Robert F. Kennedy High School in Delano, Marisleysis plans to attend California State University Bakersfield where she will major in finance with a career goal of becoming a financial manager in the table grape industry. Marisleysis graduates with a weighted 4.30 GPA and is a four-year honor roll student who also tutors other students.
- The class valedictorian, the student body President, and a member of the water polo and swim teams at Harmony Magnet Academy in Strathmore, Aime will graduate with a weighted GPA of 4.34 and plans to attend the University of Southern California with a career goal of becoming a superintendent of schools.
$20,000 Four-year Agricultural Scholarships
- A graduate of Mission Oak High School in Tulare, Lindsay is the class valedictorian and will graduate with a 4.2 weighted GPA. Lindsay has been involved with Future Farmers of America (FFA) in leadership roles and in competitions. Lindsay will attend Fresno State and has a career goal of becoming a horticulturalist.
- A graduate of Kingsburg High school with a weighted GPA of 3.97, Brenden is a four-year member of FFA, and a member of the school basketball and track teams. Brenden will attend Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a career goal of applying mechanical technology to reduce physical labor in the fields.
- A graduate of Wonderful College Prep Academy in Delano, Leslie will graduate with a 4.33 weighted GPA. Leslie is a member of FFA, the senior class president, captain of the soccer team, and member of the softball team. Leslie will attend UC Davis with a career goal of becoming a human resource manager for an agricultural firm.
Congratulations to all these future produce industry leaders!