Coastline Family Farms to Introduce New Nutraleaf Burgundy Leaf Lettuce™ and Nutraleaf Burgundy Romaine™ Varieties
SALINAS, CA - Coastline Family Farms (CFF) is debuting its new Nutraleaf Burgundy Leaf Lettuce and Nutraleaf Burgundy Romaine lettuce varieties at this year's PMA Fresh Summit event. Eminent plant scientists at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, originally created these varieties through natural breeding methods. Coastline immediately recognized their potential for the North American market and is now in the enviable position of being the only U.S. grower/shipper to market the new line.
“We began work on these new products over 18 months ago,” said Steve Henderson, President. “We’ve done our homework - incorporating multi-district growing trials, engaging the consumer and developing innovative packaging and cooling techniques. The formal launch is at 2014 PMA Fresh Summit so make sure you stop by our booth #2368 to see these burgundy beauties.”
This new line already has drawn the interest of nutritionists for its unique health profile.
“The nutritional benefits are exceptional! We started by examining test results performed by Rutgers and then ran several additional nutritional analyses on our own field grown lettuces. The net result is that the Nutraleaf Burgundy lettuces are at least twice as high in certain important antioxidants as blueberries – long the gold standard for antioxidants – and as regular red leaf lettuce,” said Coastline Vice President Phil Adrian. “Because the lettuces can be labeled as Nutrient Rich, meaning they have many nutrients for very few calories, we know that these deeply-colored lettuces are going to stand out in the produce section, on menus in restaurants and will attract media and consumer interest.”
“We have both lettuces available in Salinas through November and then will follow the sun to the Imperial Valley throughout the winter months,” he continued.
In order to raise awareness about this new product line, Coastline is planning to:
- Launch a social media outreach campaign with its Registered Dietitian Nutritionist contacts and Fresh Summit bloggers.
- Provide recipe and menu ideas with product samples at Fresh Summit.
- Partner with David Grotto, RDN to promote the nutritional profile and health benefits of Nutraleaf Burgundy lettuces.
- Introduce Nutraleaf Burgundy lettuces at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo from October 19-22 in Atlanta.
- Work with Chef Andrew Hunter, a specialist in introducing new products to restaurants, to integrate the new varieties into foodservice menus.
“With an exceptional team of experts, and a communications plan unlike any other in the produce industry, we believe we have a great start introducing these all-new lettuces to the US market,” concluded Henderson.
Remember to stop by booth #2368 at PMA Fresh Summit to see these new varieties yourself.
Congratulations on this exciting product debut, Coastline Family Farms!