Giant Food Announces Better Neighbor Report; Ira Kress Comments
LANDOVER, MD - We all know the importance of being a good neighbor. Giant Food understands this stance as it strives to be the Better Neighbor. Recently, the Washington, DC, retail grocery chain released its second annual Better Neighbor Report, detailing Giant’s efforts throughout 2021 across areas of charitable giving, education, partnerships, innovation, and development to be a Better Neighbor.
“We believe transparency brings both accountability and change, and we recognize the important role we play as a local retailer and essential service in our communities,” said Ira Kress, President of Giant Food. “We’re committed to publishing our work and progress as we strive to continue to improve every day and serve as a positive presence and leader for our associates, customers, and partners across each of the communities we are privileged to serve.”
Giant’s latest report details the retailer’s initiatives in serving its customers, associates, and communities throughout 2021. According to the release, Giant’s aim to be a Better Neighbor means being a Better Place to Shop and Better Place to Work throughout the greater District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) region, key sections the retailer aimed to excel in.
Some highlights from the report include:
- 4,600,288 pounds of food donated to communities
- Over $5.8 million raised and donated through multiple charities and initiatives
- 3.9M plastic bags saved from landfills and 102,400 meals provided to local nonprofits
- Continued to spotlight 218 diverse suppliers offering over 3,100 products to Giant customers
- Grew local vendor partnerships to over 200 and partnered with more than 50 local farms to offer over 800 local products and growing
- Celebrated top performing leadership members and associates through 73 Presidential Awards for Top Values in motion winners, two Top Women in Grocery award recipients, and 11 Women of Influencer winners
For more information or to view the full Better Neighbor Report, visit here.
Keep clicking back to see how our retail landscape continues to solidify its hold.