International Fresh Produce Association Delivers First State of the Industry Session; Cathy Burns Shares
ORLANDO, FL - The Global Produce & Floral Show is here! During the organization’s first State of the Industry session, International Fresh Produce Association (IFPA) Chief Executive Officer Cathy Burns urged attendees to capitalize on the momentum around fresh produce and floral, pointing to what a critical time it is for our industry.
“What we do is not for the faint at heart and it’s not only for our prosperity,” said Burns. “What we do is produce products that impact the health and well-being of every human on the planet. I’ve never felt more certain that time and purpose are linked to creating and leading what happens next for our industry.”
According to a press release, some of the takeaways from the session include:
- Here comes the Metaverse – IFPA’s global insights and analytics practice keeps a pulse on emerging trends like the Metaverse and more
- Food as Medicine – Fruit and vegetable moonshot found six of eight proposals in the new national nutrition strategy; now the work begins in continued advocacy to bring the strategy to life
- Innovation in Sustainability and Technology – IFPA is launching a Fresh Produce Research Center with sustainability as its first initiative to ensure agencies prioritize investment in produce research on behalf of the industry
- Inflation and Consumer Concerns – Soon-to-launch syndicated IFPA research on the economy, plus the popular Produce MarketWatch and Floral MarketWatch reports provide analysis and insight
- Help Wanted. Everywhere – IFPA DEI initiatives, compensation study, and Online Learning Academy provide opportunities for employers to ensure they are competitive when it comes to pay, as well as providing a platform for professional development
Citing global research, Burns noted that many shoppers do not consume the recommended amount of produce daily, with only one in 10 Americans reaching this goal.
“This must change. We have an opportunity and an obligation,” Burns continued. “As an organization, it is our duty to champion the data, insights, and messages that create lasting change in consumption so that the world knows fresh produce truly is the secret to vitality and vibrancy. IFPA is not in this to simply change the game. We are in this to change the world. And together with you—our members—we will. Because our time is now, right now. We cannot miss this moment.”
Click here to read more about the insights shared during the session.
Stick with ANUK for the latest industry updates.