Pacific Trellis Fruit Expands Premium Stonefruit Program; Dan Carapella Jr. Shares
LOS ANGELES, CA - The plum category may soon be seeing an exciting boost thanks to Pacific Trellis Fruit. The year-round grower, shipper, and marketer is bolstering its premium stonefruit program, adding Donut peaches and Extra Sweet nectarines to its inaugural offering of imported specialty plum varieties this coming year.
“Our imported specialty stone fruit offerings are shaking up the category,” mentioned Dan Carapella Jr., Vice President of Sales—Fresh Fruit. “Last year, we collected data from case studies showing the enormous success retailers had with the program. These wildly sweet and juicy plums, along with flavorful nectarines and donut peaches, are available through April.”
As a press release outlined, Pacific Trellis is now gearing up for the new high-flavor arrivals from Chile, with the Donut peaches available in mid-December and Nectarines beginning in January. These newly introduced SKUs will be available alongside four other specialty and premium plum offerings—Lemon plums, Extra Sweet, Watermelon, and Sugar plums—in both 1 or 2 lb clamshells. Promising quality, convenience, and safety, the high-graphic labels will pop on displays and invite more consumers to try the enticing fruit.
“We are excited to offer the specialty stone fruit program to customers,” said Carapella. “The varieties offer a unique merchandising opportunity, capturing strong sales opportunities for the winter stone fruit category.”
So, what do these tantalizing varieties have to offer? Let’s find out:
- Lemon Plums, grown in Chile and South Africa, are yellow-skinned and turn bright red when ripe
- Extra Sweet Plums, grown in Chile and South Africa, vary in appearance from bright red to dark red, to red/yellowish skin as well as black
- Grown in South Africa, Watermelon Plums have green skin with red flesh, similar in appearance to a watermelon.
- Sugar Plums have red to purple skin with golden-yellow flesh. They are grown in both Chile and South Africa
- Donut Peaches have a tender, juicy, and sweet white flesh, while the Extra Sweet Nectarines display both white and yellow flesh fruit with a combination of sweet and tangy taste
All this special stonefruit will be on display at the International Fresh Produce Association’s Global Produce & Floral Show at booth #3191. Don’t miss out!
For more industry news, leave a tab open to ANUK!