UNFI Expands CUB® Stores Footprint
STILLWATER, MN - There’s a new concept in town (the town of Minnehaha, to be exact) and CUB® Stores is making sure its one-of-a-kind look and urban format offers something new to both the local neighborhood and the broader retail market. The 46,000-square-foot store is scheduled to open today, May 2, 2019, and boasts quite a few perks, including a 200-item strong produce department positively bursting with organics.
“This store brings a great new concept to the CUB portfolio as it will be our first store embedded into a residential complex,” said Anne Dament, Executive Vice President of Retail, Marketing, and Private Brands at UNFI-owned SuperValu. “We’re evolving our look and feel while showcasing new shopping innovations for a better experience for our customers. We feel this new format CUB is a perfect fit for this neighborhood.”
Located at 46th and Hiawatha Avenue in Minneapolis, the new store anchors a five-story, 148-unit apartment development and meets the needs of a unique Longfellow neighborhood situated near a light rail train, a multi-use path, and a main road. The location also boasts a versatile and modern design that caters to on-the-go customers with the likes of multiple entrances, indoor café-style spaces, outdoor seating areas, bicycle parking, and a walk-up window service.
According to a press release, the new store also offers the following features:
- A produce department featuring over 200 organic items and a wide selection of fresh fruits and vegetables
- A Refresh! creamery & coffee shop with walk-up window. A dedicated area serving freshly made cookies and cookie ice cream sandwiches, ice cream, shakes, sundaes, espresso drinks, drip coffee, and coffee brewed by Caribou Coffee. Customers walking by the store can utilize the walk-up window to purchase ice cream and Caribou Coffee.
- A popcorn shop with fresh popcorn available in a variety of sizes and flavors such as regular, cheese, kettle, caramel, chocolate drizzled, and a cheese and caramel mix
- A new juicery offering cold pressed juices, smoothies, infused waters, and freshly squeezed orange, tangerine, and grapefruit juices
- Humm Kombucha on tap. Customers can choose from Hopped Grapefruit, Coconut Lime, Pom Lemonade, Blueberry Mint or Lemon Ginger available in single serve 16 oz. cup and 32 or 64 oz. growlers.
- Panini bar serving made-to-order paninis
- Burrito bar offering custom made burritos, bowls, or salads with a variety of delicious, fresh ingredients including chips and guacamole
- Sushi bar with over 15 chef prepared sushi rolls crafted for in store every day
- Expanded deli area that includes more convenient Quick & Easy Meals solutions including Ready to Eat, Heat & Eat, and Ready to Cook options a wider selection of hot meal offerings; a soup and salad bar; and a broader assortment of fresh meats and specialty cheeses
Late last year, the rumor mill was churning as UNFI allegedly sought a buyer for the CUB chain. While no retailer or otherwise offered up a bid—that we know of at least—is UNFI still looking for a new home for CUB? Or has the wholesaler accepted ownership and now plans to take the chain to new heights similar to that of its latest concept debut? Per usual, AndNowUKnow has got you covered in the way of all exciting news.