Ahold Delhaize Partners With Local Brands to Deploy Over $185 Million on COVID-19 Care
ZAANDAM, THE NETHERLANDS - Recently, Ahold Delhaize announced that together with its local brands, it has deployed more than €170 million (over $185 million USD) on COVID-19 relief and support efforts so far. Alongside its local brands and supply partnerts, these efforts will ensure better health and safety measures for associates and customers, enhanced benefits for frontline associates, charitable donations, and additional support for local communities.
“In this time of acute need, we see people coming together across all our communities to help each other through this pandemic,” said Frans Muller, President and CEO. “Ahold Delhaize and all our local brands in the U.S., Europe, and Indonesia are taking substantial measures to ensure the safety of both associates and customers in response to the significant challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic. Fighting this requires everyone’s support, and I am pleased with our efforts to date.”
According to the press release, the following actions have already been taken:
- Introduced additional safety and protective measures for associates, totaling €44 million ($47.9M USD)
- Enhancing pay and/or associate benefits in the U.S., Europe, and Indonesia Ahold Delhaize brands
- Providing further economic support to communities with commitments to hire more than 40,000 associates
- Local brands across Ahold Delhaize have also enhanced associate assistance programs to provide health and wellbeing support
- Some brands have also established special grocery delivery services for healthcare workers
- Collectively, the Ahold Delhaize brands have so far committed nearly €20 million ($21.7M) to charitable donations to support the following: local food banks, feeding first responders in critically hard-hit areas, national and private health systems, the Red Cross, and to medical facilities to further research on COVID-19
“I want to recognize the resilience and courage demonstrated by all the medical and emergency professionals working on the front line. Our own sector has also proven to be vital at this time—supported by associates across all our brands, in our supply chains, and at our support offices,” Muller continued. “Their determined efforts and the care and teamwork they exhibit every day fill me with pride. I am both impressed and humbled by their actions in this time of great need. Finally, I am grateful to customers in all the communities we serve for respecting social distancing guidelines and local health regulations that help protect not only themselves but our associates as well.”
Fore more information on the measures Ahold has implemented, click here for the full press release.
Keep following ANUK as we cover more news in the retail and fresh produce sector.