Food Lion Completes $168 Million Investment, Unveils New, Easier Shopping Experience
SALISBURY, NC - This week, Ahold Delhaize-owned banner Food Lion will introduce a new look, layout, and feel for residents of the greater Norfolk, Virginia, market. Following a $168 million capital investment in 105 area stores—which included plans to hire 4,000 new associates and perform remodels on stores throughout the region—the company announced plans to unveil “a new, easier shopping experience” for Virginian consumers.
“Food Lion has nourished the greater Norfolk community for nearly 40 years, and we're excited to bring these improvements to our 105 local stores,” said Meg Ham, President of Food Lion, in a press release. “We've created a new grocery shopping experience through the significant investments in our stores, customers, associates, and communities.”
Each of the banner’s newly-remodeled stores will open to the public at 8 a.m. on Aug. 29, following a 7:45 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony. New stores will reportedly feature a number of improvements designed to help consumers navigate each store more efficiently.
“From our expanded variety and product assortment, newly reorganized stores, new signage to a more efficient check-out experience, every change we’ve made will make it easier for our customers to find fresh, quality products at affordable prices every day,” added Ham. “And true to our heritage, we always offer everyday low prices along with weekly sales and promotions, making it easier for you to nourish your family on a budget. We invite our customers to come and experience the fresh, new changes at your neighborhood Food Lion.”
Changes to the stores will include the following:
- Fully remodeled stores featuring new signage and groupings of like products, to make it easier to locate items faster
- A more efficient checkout process
- Improved quality and freshness of products throughout the store
- Low prices on thousands of items across all departments
- Expanded variety and assortment across all departments relevant to our customers in each store, such as more local produce in our “Local Goodness” section, an expanded variety of craft beer, limited reserve wines, and more local, natural, organic, and gluten-free items
- An abundant selection of fresh produce and meat backed by Food Lion's double-your-money-back guarantee and a larger selection of Nature's Place beef, salads, fruit, and other items
Additionally, six stores include expanded deli departments that offer items such as handmade artisan pizza and premium coffee. And twelve of the 105 stores also feature walk-in garden coolers designed to keep produce fresher longer.
“We not only invested in our stores, we also invested in promoting great associates and hiring promising new talent,” concluded Ham. “It's also why, as part of our grand re-opening celebrations, we're partnering with the Food Bank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore and the Virginia Peninsula Food Bank to help end hunger in the towns and cities we serve. Giving back to our communities is something we're just as passionate about as serving our customers every day in our stores.”
The completion of Food Lion’s Norfolk-area remodels will bring its grand total to 649 of a total 1,030 stores remodeled in the last four years.
For more fresh produce news, keep reading AndNowUKnow.