United Fresh Produce Association Announces Winners of 2021 Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards
WASHINGTON, DC - One thing that has the power to bring people together is the culinary arts, and that’s not just my role as a trade news writer talking. United Fresh Produce Association is likely of the same mindset as the association has announced the winners of its 2021 Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards to celebrate those innovative minds in the foodservice industry that continue to highlight fresh produce in their creativity.
“It’s always a privilege for us to recognize culinary stars who are creating Instagram-worthy dishes that thrill customers and lead to a renewed interest and excitement for fresh produce,” said Tom Stenzel, President and CEO, United Fresh Produce Association. “We consistently have a diverse representation of chefs and foodservice professionals throughout the industry who are demonstrating some of the most creative concepts.”
Winners of the award will be honored this June during the United Fresh 2021 Convention & Expo as part of the Produce Excellence in Foodservice Award Program, which is sponsored by FreshEdge™. According to a release from the association, the program honors chefs and their companies for spotlighting fresh produce on their menus, introducing new flavors to diners, and using creativity to enjoy fresh produce.
“We’re thrilled to support this excellent program to celebrate leading chefs and foodservice professionals who are elevating the profile, and increasing the consumption of, fresh produce,” said Steve Grinstead, Chief Executive Officer, FreshEdge™. “We are proud to recognize these nine winners for the important role in showcasing our industry and introducing their customers to a variety of fruit and vegetable concepts.”
This year, winners were selected from nominations submitted by produce companies and foodservice operators across the North America. United Fresh then reviewed each of the nominee’s use of fresh produce in menu development, food safety protocols, leadership in produce-related community service and special events, and recognition by their industry peers and company.
At the end, nine winners were selected, including:
- Business in Industry: Chef Stephen Palm, Director of Culinary, Lifeworks Restaurant Group, Beaverton, OR
- Casual & Family Dining Restaurants: Chef Sachia Tinsley, Chef/Owner, Peyrassol Café at Southport, Renton, WA
- Colleges & Universities: Chef Darren Lewis, Executive Chef, Dining Services, Quest Food Management Services at University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN
- Fine Dining Restaurants: Chef Kyle Patrick Hash, Executive Chef, 28 North Gastropub, Melbourne, FL
- Hospitals & Healthcare: Chef Samantha Moore, Head Chef, Goshen Health, Goshen, IN
- Hotels & Resorts: Chef Kristin Butterworth, Executive Chef of Restaurants, Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa, Framington, PA
- K-12 School Foodservice: Lauren Couchois, Culinary Specialist, Greenville County School District, Greenville, SC
- Quick Service Restaurants: Chef Matt Colgan, Culinary Director, MIXT, San Francisco, CA
- Supermarkets & Retail Operators: Sarah Griswold, Prepared Foods Manager, Green Zebra Grocery, Portland, OR
Winners along with an executive from their company will participate in United Fresh 2021, where they will be presented with their awards and featured in a panel discussion.
Congratulations to this year’s winners!