Ahold Delhaize Banner Food Lion Invests $212.5 Million in 112 Mid-Atlantic Stores
SALISBURY, NC - Do regional investments lead to growth across a company’s entire network? This is the question Ahold Delhaize banner Food Lion aimed to answer as it revealed a recent investment in the Mid-Atlantic region. The company has invested $212.5 million to remodel 112 stores across Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. The remodels will include an expanded variety of new products and services as well as a more seamless shopping experience.
“Nourishing our neighbors in the towns and cities we serve is core to everything we do, and we’re excited to welcome customers to their fresh, new Food Lion," said Meg Ham, President. "Neighbors, many who have shopped in their local Food Lion for decades, are now able to enjoy a new grocery shopping experience through the significant investments in our stores, associates, and communities. From our expanded variety and product assortment, to a more efficient check-out experience, every change we’ve made will make it easier for our customers to find the quality products they have come to expect from Food Lion. When coupled with our everyday low prices and weekly sales and promotions, customers will see that we have made it easier for them to nourish their families with everything they need on a budget.”
An economic impact study done by Towson University’s Regional Economic Studies Institute (RESI) showed that the remodels will generate $360 million in economic impact across the 112 Mid-Atlantic towns and cities these Food Lion stores serve. In addition to adding more than 2,300 new associates, Food Lion’s remodels are expected to boost state and local tax revenues by $40 million across the five states, according to a press release.
To help celebrate the completion of the remodels, each store will offer random giveaways through the next week, ranging from reusable shopping bags to gift cards.
The changes customers will see include:
- Expanded variety and assortment across all departments relevant to our customers in each store
- More local items in the “Local Goodness” section
- More natural, organic, and gluten-free items
- An abundant selection of fresh produce and meat backed by Food Lion's double-your-money-back guarantee
- A greater selection of easy and affordable meals for families and a wider variety of grab-and-go items
- A more efficient checkout process, making it easier for consumers to get in, out, and on their way
- Fully remodeled stores featuring new signage and groupings of like products to make it easier to locate items faster
- Additional safety equipment and protocols to provide a safe and clean environment.
Approximately 40 percent of these remodeled stores now offer Food Lion To Go, Food Lion’s grocery pickup service. The convenient service allows customers to place an order and pick up their groceries on the same day. Additionally, many of these stores offer home delivery to allow neighbors to have their Food Lion groceries delivered to their doorstep in as little as an hour. Customers can visit the company’s website or the Food Lion To-Go app to confirm availability and place orders.
Food Lion has now remodeled more than 90 percent of its current network of more than 1,000 stores across its 10-state operating area.
Keep an eye out for more reports as we wait to see how these remodels drive growth for Food Lion.