AMHPAC's Tenth Annual Congress Brings Together 426 Participants from Mexico, the U.S., Canada, and Europe
NUEVO VALLARTA, MEXICO - AMHPAC, the Asociación Mexicana de Horticultora Protegida AC, held its 10th annual congress last week, August 24th-25th, bringing together roughly 400 national and international leaders in the produce industry, including public officials, producers, marketers, supply-chain representatives, researchers, and consultants from 23 states throughout Mexico, as well as representatives from the United States, Canada, Holland, Spain, and Australia.
The event included 50 sponsors with booths in the commercial area of this event and more than 100 meetings were held between producers and 19 buyers from both the United States and Canada. Buyers included representatives from Church Brothers Farms, Double Diamond Farms, Mastronardi Produce, SunFed, Triple H Produce, and more.
“We were very pleased with the success of the event, which brought together participants from six countries to address the issues involving the North American market,” said Special Projects Manager Jose Maria Gaxiola Duarte. “We would like to thank all our participants for making the tenth annual event our most successful Congress to date.”
The event kicked off with a welcome party at the Hard Rock Hotel, where participants broke the ice with cocktails, networked, and became familiar with AMHPAC members.
A 5K race followed the next morning, the fourth of its kind hosted by AMHPAC, involving more than 50 racers. According to a press release, participants enjoyed a great weather and an atmosphere of camaraderie as they ran. Sponsors included Rijk Zwaan, GPC, Pharr International Bridge, and INPOSA Farms, and winners included Erving Garcia from Lakeside Produce and Monica Hernandez from Horticola JEHERSA.
An opening ceremony followed the race, with attendees from various public organizations, including: SAGARPA, FIRA, FOCIR, INEA, AGROASEMEX, Secretaría de Economía, BAMX, and the National Financial Development.
A General Assembly followed, during which inaugural President of AMHPAC, Oscar Woltman, addressed attendees, unveiled this year's activities, and disclosed financial updates.
The organization also recognized several members and advisors of AMHPAC for their work, including:
- Eric Viramontes Serralde. (VISER Proyecta)
- Carlos Espinoza Pablos. (EPSA Farms)
- Javier Rivas Olmedo. (Biotech de Salvatierra)
- Antonio Rodríguez Hernández. (Grupo Los Pinos)
- Humberto Castillo Rodriguez. (Rancho Piedra de Luz)
- Rosario Antonio Beltrán Ureta. (Agrícola BelHer)
- Fernando Cabral Zasati. (Agrícola La Maceta)
This was followed by an emotional tribute to AMHPAC Founder and President César Campaña Acosta—who passed away last December, including a commemorative piece delivered by his brother Horacio Campaña.
And after the general assembly, the day was included a number of conferences, addressing various issues including the impact of NAFTA renegotiations, trends, production, and regulations in the North American market.
- Trends of consumption, production, and regulation of the organic market–Tonya Antle (Organic produces Network OPNConnect).
- Impact of the renegotiation of the NAFTA–Arturo Juarez Juarez (Ministry of Economy).
- Grafting of vegetable crops with beans magical–Andrés O’Hagan (Open Magic Group).
- Panel on New Markets–Roberto De La Torre Mendívil (COMCE Chiapas), José Antonio Peral Vallejo (Promexico), Rosario Antonio Beltrán Ureta (agricultural Belher). Moderator: Alfredo Díaz Belmontes (AMHPAC).
- The intergenerational survival of an agricultural family company– Manuel Díaz Salazar (law firm Diaz Salazar y Asociados).
- Tomato Agreement of Suspension–Robert LaRussa and Lisa Raisner (Shearman & Sterling). Moderator: Martin Ley (Fresh Evolution).
- Mexican Elections in times of populist revolts–Javier Tello Díaz (Mexico Speakers).
AMHPAC’s 2017 Grower Member Award was given to Arthur Nicolas, Director General of Frutos de Huerta Real SPR de RL for outstanding participation in the organization. And a 2017 Sponsor Member Award was granted to Serretek Greenhouses. Nicolás Camacho, Director General of the company, received the Commemorative Medal of the event.
The event concluded with dinner and drinks at a networking event entitled “Rock Beach Party.”
For more on important events in our industry, stay tuned to AndNowUKnow.