Calavo Growers Announces New ESG Strategy and Commitments; Brian Kocher Shares
SANTA PAULA, CA - I don't know about you, but I thoroughly enjoy the feeling of checking off a box on my lengthy to-do list. I imagine this is the sense of accomplishment Calavo Growers feels as it continues to reach each of its ambitious sustainability goals. Recently, the company announced a new set of goals for 2023 and a comprehensive sustainability strategy built around four key environmental, social, and governance (ESG) pillars: Climate Action, Social Responsibility, Sustainable Agriculture, and Sound Governance.
"ESG is a top priority for our customers, employees, and our investors," said Calavo President and Chief Executive Officer Brian Kocher. "By publicly committing to these goals, Calavo is announcing that we're ready to meet the challenges ahead and committed to doing our part to transform the food industry into something truly sustainable. I'm very excited that we operate a company within an industry where our ESG goals are completely aligned with our business initiatives and investments to drive customer and shareholder value."
Some of the goals outlined in the company's release include:
- Reduce its carbon footprint by 50 percent by 2030 (against a 2022 baseline) across Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions
- Achieve carbon neutrality for Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 2027
- By 2025, invest in multi-year partnerships with community organizations at each Calavo location, with a total minimum commitment of $1.5 million
- By 2030, ensure 100 percent of its growers are engaged in Calavo's sustainability program
- By 2025, validate 100 percent of its packaging is recyclable, reusable, or industrially compostable
To support these goals, Calavo is revamping its sustainability reporting cycle to align with its fiscal year to better integrate ESG and financial disclosures. The company also is launching a new internal ESG data management system, which will aid in providing auditable, verifiable ESG metrics and reporting history, the release noted.
In addition to this new ESG strategy, Calavo will continue to align its sustainability reporting with the industry standards set out by the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB).
To read more about Calavo's ambitious goals for 2030, click here.
As always, ANUK will be here to share the latest in the world of fresh produce.