United Fresh Produce Association Announces 2021 Produce Excellence in Foodservice Award Winners
WASHINGTON, DC - Spotlighting the vital role fresh produce plays in the foodservice sector, United Fresh Produce Association recently announced it will be celebrating nine innovative chefs and foodservice professionals across the country this July during the PMA Foodservice Conference & Expo in Monterey, California. The celebration will take place as part of the association’s Excellence in Foodservice Award Program.
“It’s always a privilege for us to recognize culinary stars who are creating produce-centric menus that thrill customers and lead to a renewed interest and excitement for fresh produce,” said President and CEO Tom Stenzel. “With our associations soon to be joining forces, it’s a great next step to begin incorporating our programs, driving member value to our broader communities. We are excited to have the opportunity to celebrate these winning chefs and foodservice operators among their peers at the PMA Foodservice Conference & Expo.”
Sponsored by FreshEdge™, the program honors chefs and their companies for their creativity in highlighting fresh produce on their menus, introducing diners to new flavors, and presenting unique new ways to enjoy fresh produce, a press release explained.
This year’s group of esteemed winners were selected from nominations submitted by foodservice operators and produce companies. United Fresh reviewed each nominee based on their incorporation of fresh produce into menus, use of food safety protocols for proper produce storage and handling, leadership in produce-related community service and special events, and recognition by their company and industry peers.
The winners of the 2021 Produce Excellence in Foodservice Award are:
- Business in Industry: Chef Stephen Palm, Director of Culinary, Lifeworks Restaurant Group, Beaverton, Oregon
- Casual & Family Dining Restaurants: Chef Sachia Tinsley, Chef/Owner, Peyrassol Café at Southport, Renton, Washington
- Colleges & Universities: Chef Darren Lewis, Executive Chef, Dining Services, Quest Food Management Services at University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Fine Dining Restaurants: Chef Kyle Patrick Hash, Executive Chef, 28 North Gastropub, Melbourne, Florida
- Hospitals & Healthcare: Chef Samantha Moore, Head Chef, Goshen Health, Goshen, Indiana
- Hotels & Resorts: Chef Kristin Butterworth, Executive Chef of Restaurants, Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa, Farmington, Pennsylvania
- K-12 School Foodservice: Lauren Couchois, Culinary Specialist, Greenville County School District, Greenville, South Carolina
- Quick Service Restaurants: Chef Matt Colgan, Culinary Director, MIXT, San Francisco, California
- Supermarkets & Retail Operators: Sarah Griswold, Prepared Foods Manager, Green Zebra Grocery, Portland, Oregon
“We are proud to recognize these nine winners for their important role in showcasing our industry and introducing their customers to a variety of fruit and vegetable concepts,” said Steve Grinstead, Chief Executive Officer, FreshEdge. “We look forward to celebrating these winners and elevating the program itself during the industry’s premier foodservice event.”
The nine winners, along with an executive from their company, will participate in the PMA Foodservice Conference & Expo on July 21–22, and will be presented with their awards as part of the event.
Keep clicking on AndNowUKnow as we continue to bring you the latest and greatest news in the fresh produce industry.