Jan Berk To Be Honored at 2019 Women in Produce Breakfast General Session
WASHINGTON, DC - The United Fresh 2019 Convention & Expo is set to be an amazing time for all involved, but for Jan Berk, COO of San Miguel Produce, the Expo will be especially rewarding. Berk will be the featured speaker and honoree of the Women in Produce Breakfast General Session on Wednesday, June 12. Held each year, the celebration of Women in Produce recognizes the contributions of women who work in the produce industry.
“For more than 20 years, our Women in Produce honorees have always provided an inspiring look into successful pathways in our industry,” said United Fresh President and CEO Tom Stenzel. “Jan has such a rich career and personal story to share with our attendees that I know she will inspire yet another generation of produce leaders.”
Every year one individual is selected to share her personal experience of service. The featured speaker is chosen from nominations submitted by United Fresh members across the industry. A committee of past honorees and United Fresh officers evaluate the nominations, taking into account the candidate’s involvement in the industry, contributions to the industry, and inspiration for others working in the industry.
Joining San Miguel Produce full-time in 2002, Berk initially focused on sales, marketing, and rebranding, growing the company’s value-added product line, Cut ‘N Clean Greens. In 2006 Berk became a Partner at San Miguel with Founder Roy Nishimori, expanding her role to include oversight of the company’s operations as COO. Berk and Nishimori have made it a priority to stick to the company’s family-owned status, while creating and sustaining a fully integrated food safety and quality-of-life work culture.
Berk has served on a wide number of ag and community boards and organizations, including Chair of United Fresh’s Fresh-Cut Board, a member of the United Fresh Executive Committee and Board of Directors, and Ventura County Farm Bureau Board Member. Currently Berk serves on the Farm Credit West’s Local Advisory Committee and as Vice-Chair for the California Leafy Greens Marketing Agreement (LGMA)
Jan will be joining an outstanding group of women including:
- Dan’l Mackey Almy, DMA Solutions, Inc.
- Tonya Antle, Organic Produce Network
- Frieda Rapoport Caplan, Frieda’s, Inc.
- Karen Caplan, Frieda’s, Inc.
- Margaret D’Arrigo Martin, Margaret, Inc.
- Jan DeLyser, California Avocado Commission
- Lorelei DiSogra, United Fresh Produce Association
- Jan Fleming, Strube Celery & Vegetable Company
- Janice Honigberg, Sun Belle, Inc.
- Cindy Jewell, California Giant Berry Farms
- Lorri Koster, Koster Communications, Coastal Grower Magazine
- Julie Krivanek, Krivanek Consulting Inc.
- Kathleen Nave, California Table Grape Commission
- Lisa McNeece, Grimmway Enterprises Inc.
- Teri Miller, The Fresh Market
- Dr. Martha Rhodes-Roberts, Roberts Associates
- Steffanie Smith, Andrew Smith Company
- Heather Shavey, Costco Wholesale
- Mayda Sotomayor-Kirk, Seald Sweet International/Greenyard USA
- Rosemary Talley, Talley Farms
- Jenney Tenney, The Kroger Company
Registration for the Women in Produce Breakfast General Session is included in the United Fresh 2019 All Access Package. To register for the event, visit www.unitedfreshshow.org.