Southern Specialties Partners for Nutrition
HOUSTON, TX - The specialty produce grower and shipper Southern Specialties has partnered with Brighter Bites’ Southern Florida program to provide two different types of produce every week.
“Southern Specialties is very proud of our association with Brighter Bites. Together, we are moving the needle towards greater fruit and vegetable consumption among children and their families,” said Charlie Eagle, Vice President of Business Development for Southern Specialties, in a recent press release.
The program seeks to challenge childhood obesity through the provision of fresh produce and nutrition education to low-income families. Every week, participating families and teachers are provided two bags of produce (about 50 servings) containing 8-12 different types of fresh produce as well as nutrition education materials.
"With consistent support from Southern Specialties each week of our programming in Southwest Florida, we are sure to be giving our families in Immokalee and other parts of Collier County access to two additional unique items of produce each and every week of the program,” said Brighter Bites Executive Director Samuel Newman. “During this season of gratitude, we are thankful for produce houses like Southern Specialties who understand that exposing Brighter Bites families to fresh food is giving them the gift of health.”
Eagle also noted the positive impacts of the program, saying: “It is gratifying to see the quantifiable results produced by the Brighter Bites program.”
These results include:
- 98% of parents reporting their children eating more fruits and vegetables while participating in the Brighter Bites program
- Of those, 74% said they maintained that increased level of consumption after the program ended
- Two-fold increase in cooking meals from scratch, and a significant increase in eating meals together and serving more produce as part of those meals;
- Two-fold increase in using nutrition labels to guide grocery purchases
- A significant decrease in added sugars consumed among children
AndNowUKnow applauds Southern Specialties for partnering with such an impactful program to bring produce and nutritional awareness to parents and children. We will continue to report on the impacts produce partnerships have on our communities nationwide.