United Fresh Announces Nominations for New Board Officers and Directors
WASHINGTON, DC - United Fresh's Immediate Past Chair Cindy Jewell, SC Jewell, has announced the slate of new officers and directors nominated to serve on the United Fresh Produce Association Board of Directors, effective at its March 19, 2020 meeting in Sonoma, CA.
“Our organization thrives on the strength and diversity of the leadership on the United Fresh Board of Directors,” said United Fresh’s President and CEO Tom Stenzel. “This slate of new Board members, along with those returning to the Board, will provide a strong representation and leadership of our industry.”
Ascending to Chairman of the Board is Michael Muzyk, President of Baldor Specialty Foods. Muzyk entered the food industry through many years of culinary studies. After joining Baldor, he quickly advanced through various positions until his present role as President.
Nominated as Chair-Elect is Danny Dumas, Senior Vice President of North American Sales and Product Management at Del Monte Fresh Produce of North America. He started his career in produce at Dole Fresh Fruit Company, then joined Montreal produce wholesaler, J.B. Laverdure. A year later, Dumas joined Del Monte Fresh Produce to manage its first and only Canadian office as District Sales Manager.
Nominated as Secretary-Treasurer is Michael Castagnetto, President of Robinson Fresh. Castagnetto has built and sustained relationships with growers, suppliers, and customers with a goal of helping them build, develop, and evolve their businesses. His ability to integrate logistics with fresh produce helps to drive growth for Robinson Fresh and the company’s industry partners.
Current United Fresh Board Chairman Greg Corrigan, CEO, United Vegetable Growers Cooperative, will move to the position of Immediate Past Chair and remain on the Board and the Executive Committee.
“I’d like to extend a personal thanks to all of the Board members who are concluding their service at this upcoming meeting, including our Immediate Past Chair Cindy Jewell who provided exceptional leadership to our organization during her years of service,” said Stenzel. “With an industry as diverse and complex as ours, we are grateful to the dedicated members of our Board who have helped navigate the challenges in our industry and further advance our organization. We appreciate the time and service they have dedicated to United and the industry.”
According to a press release, the following industry leaders have been nominated to serve as new members of the United Fresh Board for a two-year term beginning March 2020:
- Melissa Melshenker Ackerman, President, Produce Alliance
- José Antonio Gómez Bazán, Managing Director, Camposol International
- Lisa McNeece, Vice President of Foodservice and Industrial Sales, Grimmway Enterprises
- James Rogers, Founder and CEO, Apeel Sciences
- Natalie Shuman, Director of Trade and Retail Marketing, Apeel Sciences
- Mary Thompson, Chief Executive Officer, Bonduelle Fresh Americas
Current Board members nominated to new positions of service on Market Segment Boards and Councils include:
- Chair, Grower-Shipper Board – Eric Halverson, Chief Executive Officer, Black Gold Farms
- Vice-Chair, Grower-Shipper Board – Paul Lightfoot, President, BrightFarms
- Chair, Retail-Foodservice Board – Sarah Grady, Manager, U.S. Strategic Supply Chain, McDonalds Corporation
- Vice-Chair, Retail-Foodservice Board - Richard Gonzales, Vice President, Global Produce Sourcing, Walmart Stores
The following officers of Market Segment Boards and Councils will continue their service on the Board:
- Chair, Fresh-Cut Processor Board – Raina Nelson, Senior Vice President of Supply Chain, Renaissance Food Group
- Vice Chair, Fresh-Cut Processor Board, Sparky Locke
- Chair, Wholesaler-Distributor Board – Tom Brugato, President, Pacific Coast Fruit Company
- Vice-Chair, Wholesaler-Distributor Board – Jason Hollinger, President & CEO, Four Seasons Family of Companies
- Chair, Finance & Business Management Council – Michael McGee, Vice President, Finance, L & M Companies
- Chair, Food Safety & Technology Council – Cheryl Enlow, Vice President, Quality Assurance and Food Safety, Renaissance Food Group
- Chair, Government Relations Council – Mark Klompien, President/CEO, United Potato Growers of America
- Chair, Produce Marketing & Merchandising Council – Mark Munger, Vice President, Sales & Marketing, 4EARTH Farms
- Chair, Supply Chain Logistics Council – Jeff Moore, Vice President of Sales, Midwest Region, Tom Lange Company
“I’d also like to personally thank Cindy and Board Development Committee members, Greg Corrigan, Michael Muzyk, Danny Dumas, Eric Halverson, Sparky Locke, Jason Hollinger, and Sarah Grady for their work this year in nominating an impressive slate of officers and Board members. Their job was to help develop a strong and representative leadership on the Board for the coming years to drive our association forward, and I commend them for developing this strong slate of industry leaders,” Stenzel added.
Board members concluding their service at the March 2020 meeting include: Immediate Past Chair Cindy Jewell, SC Jewell Inc.; Jeff Cady, Tops Friendly Markets, who also served as Chair of the Retail-Foodservice Board; John Jackson, Beachside Produce, who also served as Chair of the Grower-Shipper Board; Doug Kling, Kling Strategic Partners; Phil Muir, Muir Copper Canyon Farms, who also served as Chair of the United Fresh Start Foundation; Kristen Reid, MIXTEC Group, who also served as Chair of the Leadership Alumni Board; and Brent Scattini, Seven Seas Fruit.
Congratulations to all industry pros who have been honored with a position on the United Fresh board! For more information on these all-star operators and to read the press release in full, click here.