R.E.A.C.H International's Greenhouse Competition Recap: Winners Across Tomato, Pepper, Cucumber, and Strawberry Categories
CANADA - The opportunity for greenhouse growers to show off their innovative and delicious fresh produce products has returned, as R.E.A.C.H. International announced the annual Greenhouse Competitions are officially back after being canceled in 2020 due to the pandemic. Several esteemed produce mavens were awarded multiple distinctions during this year’s event, including Mucci Farms, SUNSET® Mastronardi Produce®, Nature Fresh Farms, and more.
The annual event saw the return of coveted competitions such as The Hottest Tomato, The Perfect Pepper, The Coolest Cucumber, and The Sweetest Strawberry competitions. Following last year’s cancelation, R.E.A.C.H. International redesigned the thrilling event to be contactless to protect the contestants, judges, and volunteers, a press release explained.
Greenhouse growers and marketers entered 125 products into this year’s competitions, in addition to the collection of over 3,000 lbs of fresh produce donated from each contestant to support local communities and food banks.
The 2021 Greenhouse Competitions, which was presented in part by Nature Fresh Farms, began on June 9, where expert judges, including members of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Affairs (OMAFRA), grocery store produce managers, Culinary Guild of Windsor Chefs, and more, evaluated each produce submission based on a specialized list of criteria developed by Head Judge, Shalin Khosla.
Some of the distinguished winners of the 2021 Greenhouse Competitions include:
- SUNSET Mastronardi Produce - Cocktail Cukes, Coolest Cucumber Competition
- Mucci Farms - English Cucumber, Coolest Cucumber Competition
- SUNSET Mastronardi Produce - Mini Seedless Cukes, Coolest Cucumber Competition
- SUNSET Mastronardi Produce - Best Overall Cucumber
- Pure Flavor - Beefsteak Tomato, Hottest Tomato Competition
- SUNSET Mastronardi Produce - Cocktail Tomato, Hottest Tomato Competition
- Mucci Farms - Roma Tomato, Hottest Tomato Competition
- Nature Fresh Farms - Bite-Size Tomato, Hottest Tomato Competition
- Nature Fresh Farms - Best Overall Tomato
- Mucci Farms - Best Overall Pepper
- SUNSET Mastronardi Produce - Best Overall Strawberry
The awards ceremony for the competition was broadcasted as a live stream on June 11. The recording of the award ceremony can be viewed online.
Congratulations to all of these greenhouse innovators!