Side Delights® Offers Solutions for Five 2019 Top Food Trends
SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Potatoes are here to stay. There may have been some shade thrown on them in the past, but I think I speak for all spud-lovers that people nowadays love potatoes in some way, shape, or form. In fact, you could call them trendy. Side Delights® fresh potato products respond to the 2019 top trends of convenience, organic, plant-based, regional flavors, and foods for sensitive stomachs in their portfolio of products.
“Consumers love potatoes, and the potato category continues to drive produce volume and dollar sales at retail,“ said Kathleen Triou, President and CEO of Fresh Solutions Network. “Grocery stores who offer shoppers the products that they want, while embracing the trends they follow, will win.”
These trends are driving retail grocers into competition with the foodservice sector as well as with each other. Grocery stores benefit by providing shoppers with creative assortment options addressing the leading food trends. And just what are these trends? According to the press release, they are as follows:
- Convenience - Convenience is key, probably the top leading trend amongst any demographic. Whether it be quick to cook, easy to clean, or ready to eat, consumers are always looking for ways to minimize the hassle and/or stress that comes with food preparation. Side Delights offers a full line of convenience potato products including Steamables, Bakeables, Flavorables, Grillables, and Roastables to satisfy consumers who want to feel satisfied…quickly! These items delight the consumer with their ease of preparation and satisfy their desire for a tasty, quick side dish—what could be better?
- Organic - Organic food sales in the U.S. rose 5.9 percent in 2018 to $47.9 billion, according to the 2019 Organic Industry Survey Sales of organic fruits and vegetables accounting for $17.4 billion. Adding Side Delights Farmer’s Table® potatoes, including the first of its kind single-serve microwavable organic Russet, to the organic selection in the Produce Department will drive consumers in-store organic purchases AND satisfy their need for convenience—two trends for the price of one!
- Plant-based - The globally-respected Chopra Center includes plant-based foods in its list of 2019 food trends. As the article states, “the plant-based lifestyle isn’t a new trend, but the availability of plant-based options and the number of people consuming them are rising.” Grocery stores that offer a variety of plant-based foods will benefit from this increase. Shoppers can embrace a plant-based lifestyle with Gourmet Petite potatoes; the thin-skinned and petite potatoes require no peeling, cook quickly, and keeps stomachs full longer, resulting in enough energy for clear thinking and stamina throughout the day.
- Regional Flavors - Regional flavors topped Kroger’s Top Food Trends for 2019 at number one. Consumers continue to embrace products influenced by local, regional, and global tastes. The Flavorables, Roastables, and Salt house lines of seasoned potatoes provide grocery stores with the bold, global, yet regionally influenced flavors consumers are craving.
- Foods for Sensitive Stomachs - According to the Consumer Reports 2019 trend report, foods that are low in “FODMAP” (fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols) are increasingly in demand in grocery stores. These carbohydrates can cause gas, bloating, and other digestive issues and can be especially problematic for people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Potatoes are naturally low in FODMAP. Luckily for consumers, all of the Side Delights brand of fresh potatoes offers a number of options for shoppers seeking low-FODMAP foods, giving retailers plenty of items to keep in stock.
No matter how you slice or dice it, it seems like the potato is the top trending produce answer. To stay on top of the latest trends in the produce industry, keep reading AndNowUKnow.
Companies in this Story
Fresh Solutions Network
Fresh Solutions Network,LLC® is the exclusive supplier of Side Delights® fresh potatoes and onions. FSN is a group of...