Side Delights® Offers Shoppers Tips for Plant-Based Meals
SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Potatoes, welcome to the center of the plate. The days of side dish-only tubers are gone, as more and more consumers are looking for plant-based menus that are healthy and filling. Side Delights® is one brand offering solutions for those looking to get in on this “Flexitarian” diet trend. Named one of the top five diets by U.S. News and World Report’s 2018 Best Diets rankings report, Flexitarianism focuses on plant-based foods, but still allows for animal products in moderation.
“Potatoes have the dual role of being a healthy vegetable while helping a person’s satiety—the ability to feel full despite lower calories,” said Kathleen Triou, President and CEO of Side Delights’ parent company, Fresh Solutions Network. “So, as more consumers continue to switch to plant-based ways of eating, we see potatoes becoming much more than America’s favorite side dish, which is another reason to stock more potatoes in 2019.”
Citing a Nestle Professional report on plant-based menus, Side Delights noted that 59 percent of consumers eat meatless meals at least once a week, and 50 percent of consumers order menu items featuring vegetables. And as Triou pointed out, potatoes can be an ideal choice to be part of these vegetable-focused plates due to their nutritional value, filling nature, and versatility in recipes.
According to a press release, potatoes provide the following benefits:
- Cholesterol- and sodium-free
- Only 110 calories (for a medium-sized potato)
- Provides 30% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C
- Provides 15% of the recommended daily value of potassium
- Has one of the highest overall antioxidant levels among vegetables
- Is one of the most satiating items in the produce department
Are your consumers looking for some tips on how they can be part of this “New Year, New You” Flexitarian trend in the coming months? Check out some of Side Delights recipe ideas below:
- Create a vegetable-based main course such as potato and Provencal vegetable tart
- Replace meat and bread-heavy breakfasts with potato-based brunch meals like baked breakfast potatoes
- Trade in meat as an ingredient in favorite dishes, such as replacing pepperoni on pizza for potatoes with this potato and caramelized onion flatbread
Happy potato eating to all you new Flexitarian dieters out there!